20070825

Bob the Builder vs Mr Roger's Neighborhood

So I now know what's wrong with English society: English children's TV. A couple weeks ago we went on vacation to Menorca. Before we went I bought a Bob the Builder DVD - just in case.

So we ended up popping it in a few times and I had the pleasure of watching several episodes. There was consistent theme throughout all of them - "DON'T HURRY. TAKE YOUR TIME." No wonder everything takes twice as long in this country as it does in the US.

As I reflect upon the US children's TV of my youth, I distinctly remember Mr Rogers repeatedly checking his watch to see that the Neighborhood Trolly would show up on time. Whenever Mr McFeeley, the mailman would show up, he would announce his arrival with shouts of "Speedy delivery! Speedy delivery!". Rain, sleet, hail or snow, we knew nothing would stop that Mr McFeeley.

This is in sharp contrast to the lessons taught on Bob the Builder. In the world of English children's TV, anytime Muck or Scoop or any of the other characters shows a little initiative by rushing or hurrying to be somewhere on time, disaster strikes. They drop a load of lumber or break a giant pane of glass. Wendy scolds youthful characters if they should ever decide to have a race to see who can get a task done the fastest. The lesson is clear. No matter what happens, DO NOT RUSH!

Now I understand why service providers here are pretty blasé in letting you know that they simply will not hurry to help you. This has clearly been ingrained in them since childhood.

I have sadly resigned myself to the fact that if we stay here too long, my kids will grow up slow. Maybe that's not such a bad thing.

No comments: